I’m not including the iPod Touch since it’s basically an iPhone without a cellular radio…
Both were gifts from my wife… I still even use my iPod Shuffle for my daily commute since I want to save my Galaxy S6 Edge‘s battery!
I know this post is titled “what would make me buy?” But its more of like “features I wish Apple would add to the iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle.”
1. Video out and ability to play FHD videos.
The iPod Nano uses a lightning port but it’s not compatible (according to Apple’s website) with Apple’s Lightning to Digital AV (Lightning to HDMI) adapter.
Its technical specs also mentions that it can only play the following video format.
H.264 video: 720 by 576 pixels, 30 frames per second; Baseline, Main and High-Profile level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 256 Kbps; 48kHz; stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 Mbps, 720 by 576 pixels, 30 frames per second; Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 256 Kbps; 48kHz; stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
2. It should be able to play our Apple Music playlists off-line.
3. Manage content using an iPad.
Right now, you need a Mac/PC (using iTunes) to sync songs and manage music on an iPod Nano. It would be nice if you can use your iPad, maybe Apple can release a Lightning to Lightning cable.
Features that will make the iPod Nano awesome.
1. Return of the camera, remember the 5th Gen? I’m not asking for a 12MP camera. 5MP will be enough…
2. Wi-Fi, would be nice for wireless syncing with your iPad/Mac.
3. Ability to answer calls (while connected to your iPhone via BT) and maybe read/reply to your messages.
4. Siri (while connected to your iPhone/iPad via BT)
(As mentioned above for the iPod Nano)
1. It should be able to play your Apple Music playlists off-line.
2. Manage content using an iPad.
Right now, you will need a USB to 3.5 adapter to sync songs to your Shuffle.
Using a Lightning Cable (instead) should be more convenient (it’s 1 less cable) and will perfectly align with Apple’s rumored plan to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from future iPhones.
To allow us to use wireless earphones.
Features that will make the iPod Shuffle awesome.
1. Camera. Maybe a HD Video camera? Just imagine clipping the Shuffle on your shirt and using it as an action camera.
2. Ability to answer calls (while connected to your iPhone via BT).
3. Siri (while connected to your iPhone/iPad via BT)
A dedicated MP3/Video player in 2016 doesn’t make any sense (not unless it plays Lossless Audio Codec)…
Apple needs to make the iPod Nano and Shuffle companions to the iPhone and iPad (or maybe even the Mac).
They don’t even need to look too far… All they have to do is look at the Apple Watch and try to move the iPods on the same direction.
Yes, the iPod as we know it (a dedicated MP3 player) is dead… It needs an upgrade for 2016 and beyond.